Club History

The club's activities since our chartering in 1946 were researched by Pieter Koeleman from the surviving club records and were presented to club members at each meeting in 2004-05 as part of the Rotary Centennial activity.  These highlights are outlined below .  Note that summaries for years since 1982 are not yet available.

1946-1947
Club chartered March 18, 1946. First President: Ken Craig. In October President Ken Craig passed away and Oscar Thulin took over as President. The Club's first project was a "Welcome to Campbell River" sign and the first auction raised $317.00.
 
1947-1948
President: Oscar Thulin. Following the donation of property, the Club's first major project commenced with the clearing of land for the construction of a Scout Hall. The Klondike Night fundraiser netted $839.80. This year also saw the start of the Club's ongoing involvement with the "March for Dimes".
 
1948-1949
President: Ken Brown. 29 members. Started construction of the Scout Hall in the late summer. Klondike Night cleared $1004.17. There were various challenges with Kinsmen with Rotary losing two out of three. Kinsmen however donated the wagers back to Rotary funds.
 
1949-1950
President: Alec McLean. #5 members. Started construction of the Scout Hall in July 1949 with completion in time for the club to have a meeting in the new hall on June 6th, 1950. For the third year running the Club was involved with the July 1st celebrations.
 
1950-1951
President: Stan Sutton. 32 members. The Club was once again involved with the July 1st festivities though the Club got into financial difficulties as a result of this. Two members advanced $500 to pay bills.
 
1951-1952
President: Einar Anderson. 26 members. $500 donated to start Rotary Junior Band.
 
1952-1953
President: Joe Iaci. 22 members. Club started on the annual March of Dimes at Christmas with $208 being raised. $2000 was donated towards the floor for the new Community Centre to mark the 50th anniversary of the community of Campbell River.
 
1953-1954
President: Len Rossiter. 25 members. First Adventure in Citizenship Award was given. Club funds were split into Service and Community Accounts.
 
1954-1955
President: Lorne Ritchie. 33 members. March of Dimes raised $296 and the Rotary Auction raised $430.
 
1955-1956
President: Cyril Haque. 34 members. Klondike Night at the Community Hall raised $587. The "Student of the Month" award was started.
 
1956-1957
President: Tom Hargreaves. 39 members. Club now part of District 502. In December the March of Dimes raised $754. A scrap drive brought in $2173 and Klondike night netted $986.
 
1957-1958
President: Jack Baikie.43 members. Club gaining reputation as "the Singing Club". The Christmas party was at the new Marina hotel. Klondike Night brought in $754 and $1000 was donated towards the new Centennial Park.
 
1958-1959
President: Allan Maclean. The office of Vice President was created. Dec 16th was Ladies Night and in February the Lunch meeting was changed to the Willows Hotel.
 
1959-1960
President: Gordon Mason.47 members. Jack Baikie was suggested for District Governor. $2000 was turned over to the Village of Campbell River for the swimming pool. This was the last year that the club organized the July 1st celebrations.
 
1960-1961
President: Doug Bate. 35 members. The Rotary news bulletin was revamped with a new format on April 13th. Conducted a drive to become a 200% club for the Rotary Foundation. Many special events held at Painters Lodge. April 15th marked the 15th anniversary of the club.
 
1961-1962
President: Bud Denholme. 56 members.  Interclub meeting with Courtenay. Careers Day at High School in April. In May the club was in debt for $1,400. The Rotary Auction in June raised $800.
 
1962-1963
President: Jim Smith. 53 members. Careers Day held at High School. A lot of club articles were lost in the Willows Hotel fire. First bingo raised $500. #2,500 donated to the Scout Hall. Meetings were held at the Firehall, Scout Hall and Willows Hotel.
 
1963-1964
President: Sherman Evans. Membership unknown. Scrap Committee very busy. Donations made to the Alberni tidal Wave Disaster Fund and to the Charlie Southworth Rotary Foundation Memorial Fund.
 
1964-1965
President: Ken Antonelli. 60 members. Donation of $2,200 to the swimming pool. Yearly fundraising hit $4,300. 36 members attended the installation of club member Jack Baikie as our first District Governor. Len Rossiter took over as Club Historian.
 
1965-1966
President: Russ Preston. Membership unknown. First Pioneer Dinner (lunch) was held at Painters Lodge. March of Dimes topped $1,000 with the direct approach in shopping centres and the streets being tried for the first time. $3,500 donated to the Centennial Museum and a beach clean-up carried out by members. The 20th Anniversary of the club was celebrated at Painters Lodge.
 
1966-1967
President: Ray Carpenter. 51 members.  First International Project-$75 powdered milk to India. Pamphlet prepared to inform the public about our club and Rotary. The 2nd Pioneer Dinner was held featuring Bob Swanson with "The Sounds of Logging Past"
 
1967-1968
President: Corky Corbett. 53 members. The District was broke - the club sent to $75 to help. The March of dimes raised $1260. The Club's entry in the Nanaimo Bathtub Race finished 10th. The first Pancake Breakfast was held at the Community Hall on March 17th. A GSE team from Finland was hosted and the District Assembly was held in Campbell River.
 
1968-1969
President: Jack Ross. 59 members. First incoming Exchange Student arrived from Mexico followed by a second one later in the year from Australia. The first outgoing student went off to Argentina. The Pancake Breakfast became an annual event. The Rotary Beach Park was taken over by the District. $1200 was raised for the March of Dimes. A white elephant auction raised $147 and was enjoyed by all.
 
1969-1970
President: Bill Meyer. 54 members. Roderick Haig Brown talked to the Club about the Salmon situation and the March of Dimes raised $1135 in December. The incoming exchange student arrived from Australia. There is mention of the club newsletter, the Spokesman, for the first time.
 
1970-1971
President: Brant Felker. 59 members. Members fined 25 cents for leaving early. The outgoing exchange student to Holland left in February. Meal costs increased to $10 per month and meetings moved to the Haida Inn.  $3000 was donated towards the new Ice Arena.
 
1971-1972
President: Arnold Cameron.65 members. Rotary float tied for 1st Place in Courtenay Parade. Membership up to 70 in November which led to the largest % increase in the District by year end. The white Elephant auction netted $240. Christmas Caroling was led by Len and Fran Hudock and Stan and Faye Skuse. (this continued until 1992)
 
1972-1973
President: Mike Cruise. 68 members. Poor attendance noted for the visit of the District Governor to the club. In December the "March for Dimes" raised $1763.75.
 
1973-1974
President: Carl Thulin. 68 members. First Paul Harris Fellow award given to Wallace Baikie. The 200 Club Car Draw netted $1637 with Ken Phillips being the winner. The District contribution to the Paul Harris Foundation Fund is noted as $31510.
 
1974-1975
President: John Mac) McDougall. 64 members. The 50th Parallel marker was dedicated in the fall and $20000 was pledged to the "Centre for the Handicapped". meetings were moved to the DI and the meal costs increased to $20 per month.  Rotary TV Auction started.
 
1975-1976
President: Len Hudock. 57 members. The Pancake Breakfast made a small profit and it was decided to continue it as a community project not as a fund raiser. $20000 presented to "Our Place". The 1st TV auction was great success raising $21179.35 and the additional $2178.35 was presented to "Our Place" as well. The "March of Dimes" brought in $2,338.
 
1976-1977
President: Frank Sullivan.54 members. The Family Exchange Program was introduced with exchanges to Mexico and Columbia. The March for Dimes netted $2798 and the TV auction raised $18229. 43 New Zealanders visited the club on the way home from the San Francisco convention.
 
1977-1978
President: Wilf Shipway.58 members. The White Elephant auction raised $320 and a radar set was purchased for the local Search and Rescue volunteers at a cost of $3400.
 
1978-1979
President: Larry Reynolds. 54 members. The TV auction brought in $20940 and the March for Dimes set another record of $3401. The club sponsored a new club at Kelsey Bay-Sayward (now inactive). A GSE team from Australia visited in April.
 
1979-1980
President: Brian Taylor. 58 members. $419 raised for the local Christmas Hamper fund. Members owe $3400 on their accounts. 7 couples leave on a friendship exchange to Australia. The "eat crow" attendance challenge award was introduced between the Campbell River and Courtenay clubs.
 
1980-1981
President: Ed Cooley. 63 members. $1500 pledged towards restoration of Kingfisher Creek. The TV Auction raised $24566 despite running on Sunday due to power outages earlier.  Other fundraisers included the March for Dimes at $4364 and the White Elephant at $520.  $5000 was donated to Adult Care Society.  The Port Hardy Club was chartered in May. The Pancake Breakfast ran on Fathers’ Day and made a small profit.
 
1981-1982
President: Doug Reedman. 70 members. Members voted against a second club in Campbell River. The March of Dimes brought in $4700. Membership hit 75 - an all-time high. $1000 given to Operation Eyesight.
 
1982-1983
President: Bill Andrew.  Quinsam Nature Trail completed.
 
1983-1984
President: Al Grant. 
 
1984-1985
President:  Scott McIvor
 
1985-1986
President: David "Scotty" MacLaren.  CR Museum Steam Donkey.
 
1986-1987
President:  Norm Bell.  Discovery Pier completed.  Ripple Rock Trail.
 
1987-1988
President: Jim Robinson
 
1988-1989
President: Ed Hrechuk.  Wheel Chair Accessible Fishing Platform.
 
1989-1990
President: Jerry Finnen.  Discovery Pier Wheel Chair Ramp.
 
1990-1991
President: Clarke Hauser.  Cari Infant and Toddler Centre started.
 
1991-1992
President: Jim Van Tine.  Cari Infant and Toddler Centre completed.
 
1992-1993
President: John  Robilliard.
 
1993-1994
President: Pieter Koeleman.  CR Museum additions and archives.
 
1994-1995
President: Don MacNaughton. 
 
1995-1996
President: Ted Foster.  Phase One of the Rotary Seawalk started.
 
1996-1997
President: Sal Salminen.  Beaver Lodge Forest bridges.
 
1997-1998
President: Garry Drown.  Centennial Park playground.
 
1998-1999
President: Ron Burrell. 
 
1999-2000
President: Andy Adams.  Seawalk extension.  Willow Point Interpretive Centre.  Ken Forde Boat Ramp.
 
2000-2001
President: June Reedman.  Yuculta Lodge gardens.
 
2001-2002
President: Jim Forsyth.  Maritime Heritage Centre work begun by Daybreak Club assisted by our Club
 
2002-2003
President: Francois Egan. 
 
2003-2004
President: Ray Hughes.
 
2004-2005
President: Ian Hay.

2005-2006
President: Judy Shepley

2006-2007
President:  Marlene Wright

2007-2008
President:  Dave Hanna

2008-2009
President:  Brian Shaw
 
2009-2010
President:  Doug Dyer
 
2010-2011
President:  Sterling Campbell
 
2011-2012
President:  Patricia Gagnon
 
2012-2013
President:  Todd Peachey
 
2013-2014
President: Mark DeGagne
 
2014-2015
President: Lorrie Bewza
 
2015-16
President: Gary McLelan